.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Trucker's Journal

I've been a trucker since November, 2004. Before that I was an accountant for many years. I'm having fun and actually making more than I did before. Go figure....

Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Time to change the underwear

I'm sure if you're familiar at all with the US Interstate system, you've seen many of the small dirt or paved areas between the separate directional lanes. They all have a sign posted saying something to the effect of "No U-turns. Authorized vehicles only." They are mainly used by law enforcement, construction crews, and other official people. They aren't supposed to be used by the "normal" motoring public who needs to change direction. But they are.

Yesterday I was heading home for the weekend on I-69 North of Indianapolis, IN when I saw that I was rapidly overtaking a four wheeler in the right lane. I checked my mirrors, turned on my left turn signal, and moved over a lane to pass the minivan going slowly. As I passed, I saw that the driver had a map spread over the wheel and was trying to navigate while driving. Uh oh, that's dangerous stuff! I was almost ready to complete my pass and return to the right lane when he suddenly gave a burst of speed and turned on his left signal, then pulled into the left lane ahead of me. Before I could even begin to take in all this information, he applied his brakes quickly and forced me to do the same. Alas, his brakes are much better than mine and I'm coming up on him rapidly. I can only see one thing at a time and didn't have the resources to check the right mirror to see if I could move over safely without possibly hitting him in the rear. I finally slowed enough that I knew I wouldn't hit him immediately and checked the right mirror. The lane was clear far enough back that I could pull over the 75 foot long/40 ton behemoth, barely missing the minivan as he turned left into one of those "Don't use this" turns.

Yes, occasionally things happen so quickly that you don't have time to do anything except wonder if you have indeed filled your underwear with unwanted substances. I didn't, but I wasn't far from it yesterday.

People, have some common sense and don't pull in front of a tractor/trailer combo doing 65 miles per hour in the left lane and then put on your brakes! My underwear could be the least messy part of that if you stop quickly enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home